Juliann R. Ambroz, M.Ed., LCMHC, CYT
Licensed Mental Health Counselor, New Horizons Counseling
SPECIALTY: Licensed Mental Health Counselor; EMDR Certified Practitioner, Certified in Clinical Hypnosis, Certified Yoga Teacher
Adults, Teens, Couples and Families
My theoretical orientation is eclectically based but stems largely from the premises inherent in Cognitive/Behavioral, Relational/Cultural, Humanistic and Family Systems Theories. Additionally, my work is grounded in the tenets of the Adaptive Information Processing Model, and the belief that our brains have an inherent drive toward emotional health. I believe that people must be understood both in terms of the self and in terms of their relationship to the people and environment around them. This understanding may necessitate looking at how object-relations from the past are manifesting in the present. It may also require learning new thought patterns and making behavioral changes conducive to health and well being.
Importantly, I believe that individuals possess the inner resources for growth and healing, but may need assistance in overcoming obstacles to personal development. These obstacles may occur as the result of past occurrences (e.g. unresolved trauma), more immediate conflicts, or both. Therapy can provide this assistance, and enhance an individual’s inherent abilities and strengths.
M.Ed., Counseling, University of Massachusetts, 1991
B.A., Legal Studies, University of Massachusetts, 1986
Additional Post-Graduate Credits from Johnson State College, University of Massachusetts-Lowell, Lyndon State College
I have worked in the fields of counseling, education, substance abuse treatment and intervention for many years.
I was a supervised psychotherapist at Wellspring Mental Health and Wellness from 2006-2010. In 2010 I obtained licensure as a clinical mental health counselor and started my private practice.
I continue to pursue educational opportunities in order to enhance and inform my helping techniques and understanding. I attend numerous seminars and trainings on a variety of topics. I am trained and certified in the evidenced-based practice of EMDR. I am also certified in Clinical Hypnosis by the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis.
- Neurobiology of Stress and Adaptation
- Clinical Hypnosis
- Resolution of anxiety disorders
- Attachment based parenting and the issues presented by disturbances of attachment
- Recovery from trauma and shame
- Resolving core issues that may interfere with the ability to form healthy relationships
- Managing life transitions and maintaining balance in the face of adversity
- Helping individuals and families overcome issues presented by sexual abuse and/or sexual assault
- Issues of grief and loss
- Overcoming eating disorders
- Unipolar and bipolar spectrum Illnesses at all stages of the life cycle
- Re-examination of core beliefs and attitudes that are the result of living within alcoholic family systems
- Issues of sexuality and self-esteem
- The interface of psychotherapy and psychopharmacology
- The mind-body connection; helping individuals overcome automatic dissociation, and re-learn how to connect with the wisdom their bodies contain
Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor State of VT License #068.0057.568
Vermont K-12 School Guidance License, 3-64
Member Vermont Mental Health Counselors Association
Member and Former Board Member of the Northeastern Mountain Society of Clinical Hypnosis
Volunteer for the “Give an Hour” Program